Friday, August 28, 2009

RANCID: LET THE DOMINOES FALL - REVIEW BY BRIAN JAMES

I walked away from "DOMINOS" with the same first impression I've had of every new Rancid record to come before it. I hated it. And like every new Rancid record to come before it, I was eventually drawn back in. And with every fresh listen, I found myself falling so much in love with the new material that it eventually replaced everything else in my 6 disc CD exchange player.

This strange and inexplicable pattern of initial un-acceptance for new Rancid records goes back to 1994's LETS GO. Perhaps I'm just hesitant to accept new material from a band whose past material has already become such an important part to the soundtrack of my life. Perhaps I dive into the first listen with a pre-conceived notion that there's no way the new record can top the last. Or maybe I'm just jealous because they create the music, and I'm just the douche bag writing the fuckin review. Whatever the case may be, it's impossible for me to deny the passion of the music and the genius and talent of the members that make up this band.

Strangely enough though, for the first time in 15 years I actually have a tangible reason to doubt the sincerity of a new Rancid release. This ain't the same Rancid the world has always known. Founding member Brett Read, and the only drummer Rancid has ever known, left the band in 2006 citing "personal reasons" and has been replaced by former USED drummer Brandon Steineckert. The long-lasting and original line-up is no longer. It's a huge change and a hard pill for die-hard fans to swallow. But with that being said, the core of Rancid is still made up of Tim Armstrong, Lars Frederiksen, and Matt Freeman. And although I hate to say it, Brandon Steineckert does a fine job of keeping the drumming style of Brett Reed alive.

The bottom line is that despite the ever-evolving musical styles on each and every Rancid release, the sound remains the same and the material on "DOMINOS" is equally as relevant as the material on any record to come before it. It's fuckin Rancid man! Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment